Hoopla green shabby blogs

Monday, October 13, 2014

Dear Kids, This is why I have no brain cells left....

Today I got "the email" from the principal.

(Before you gasp....so did everyone else who has a child in my kids' school. It's just the weekly info email.)

And every week it seems there are more and more things for Mom to remember.

This week Chloe has a field trip to the pumpkin patch mid-week.  It might rain, so I will need to remember old shoes or boots, a rain coat, maybe an umbrella, warm clothes so she doesn't freeze, etc.  AND I need to remember to dress her in her cute pumpkin shirt. Also I have to remember to pack a plastic bag with handles with her name and her teacher's name printed on the side to put the pumpkin in. Luckily I already paid for the trip so I don't need to remember to send money.

However, I DO need to remember money to send with Audrey & Carter on Thursday for school store. Then Friday is "pretzel day" so 50 cents each on that day .  Because heaven forbid they show up empty-handed and the ONLY KIDS who don't have money for this stuff....

This week there's also the band performance Audrey has with the middle school band on Tuesday.  She needs to be there at 5:30.  However, the concert doesn't start til 7.  So either I twiddle my thumbs for 1.5 hours or I go home for an hour just to turn around and go back.  Meanwhile, on the same evening, we are hosting our small group at 7:30 so I need the other 2 kids fed and ready for bed before I leave so that they can just jump in bed when I get home, and meanwhile Chad will welcome our guests til Audrey & I return.  (I admit, this was just poor planning on my part but I didn't realize this concert was in the evening until I got "the email" a week ago!)

Also, Carter has Lego club after school on Wednesday.  Which I forgot about last week.  Fortunately when he didn't get off the bus at the end of the day, I realized I needed to pick him up in an hour....

And Chloe has gymnastics on Thursday afternoon.  Which I ALSO forgot about last week.  (No comments please...)

Next week is Pumpkin Day on Friday.  So Carter needs to decorate a little pumpkin like some kind of character, hide it in a brown bag, and get it to school in one piece.  This would be easy for Audrey but for Carter?  I hope it doesn't get left on the bus....I am helping at Pumpkin Day as well so now I also need to get a big pumpkin to bring, along with a bunch of utensils so kids can help me scoop out the seeds.  But who are we kidding?  I did this with preschoolers last year and NOT ONE KID wanted to touch the goop inside the pumpkin.  So guess who will probably be scooping junk out of pumpkins solo??

Then today I got "THE EMAIL" from school about next week, with this attachment about Red Ribbon week:  (cut and pasted verbatim....)

"In an effort to get students involved and committed to leading a healthy life, we are encouraging students and staff to participate in our “theme of the day” all week long:
Monday, October 20- Team Up Against Drugs and Bullying Day- students may team up for the fight against bad choices by wearing their favorite sports team attire to school
Tuesday, October 21 -Follow Your Dreams to Stay Healthy -students may wear appropriate pajamas or robes, but please no slippers (sneakers only).
Wednesday, October 22- Dress for Success-Wear your favorite college or university gear.
Thursday, October 23- Work it Out, Keep the Drugs Out! -students may wear their sports gear, exercise clothes, or active wear…we challenge everyone to walk or run an extra 5 minutes at recess!
Friday, October 24- Let Your True Colors SHINE -students can wear their favorite color and/or shiny, sparkly clothes.
Monday, October 27- Red Ribbon Week Finale- students should wear red to celebrate the end of our lessons, and continuation of many good choices!"

Seriously people.

SIX. WHOLE. DAYS. of remembering to have all these different clothing combos clean and ready to go for 2 different kids. For the love. And college gear? We have NONE.  (Sorry kids, unless you want to wear Daddy's old Wheaton College t-shirts....)

Did I mention there's also a middle school open house next week?

And Halloween is coming?

And that my in-laws are coming to stay for almost a week in the middle of this?  Thankfully they are EASY and will probably HELP me remember all this stuff.  Because I'm not sure I can keep it all straight anymore...

And this, dear children of mine who complain I always forget things -- THIS is why I have no brain cells left. 

Love,
Mom

PS.  I wouldn't have it any other way.....it is crazy trying to keep up with all this but I am really so thankful for all the opportunities you have at school and in life.  Except for maybe the 6-day clothing ordeal.... :)



No comments:

Post a Comment